Thursday 13 November 2014

Oh Comely

(sung in the voice of Will Ferrell’s Robert Goulet) 
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things


I don’t really like any of those things. I don’t even have that many favourite things to be honest with you. But there is one thing I love Oh Comely Magazine. And the best thing is… I found it by accident. 


I’m not a huge fan of magazines, especially lady mags. I find them so difficult to look at, let alone read! So, I one day found myself at a WHSmiths at Paddington Station - staring blankly at the magazine stand. All the brightly coloured pages were screaming at me. Free mascara, 962 slimming secrets, celebrities without make up - who cares? Not me! And then... I saw something poking out from behind the busy nonsense. The matt white paper was calling me. As soon as I touched its smooth finish, its heft, its potential... I was sold. 

The long journey from London all the way back to Plymouth (oh boy, that’s a hoot of a train ride) became my favourite journey to date. The beautiful images, illustrations, stories and odd little features, I was fixated… I still am.


Every single time a new issue is on it’s way I get truly excited. For a time I subscribed. New issues would promptly arrive at my door, bringing with them such promise. But, these days… I’ve decided to go it alone. I roughly know when the next issue's on its way, and when that time arrives - I hit the streets (or WHSmiths to be precise - Smiths is one of the only shops that stock Oh Comely). There are two stores in Norwich, and I endlessly go between them, pushing every other publication aside in the hope of unearthing my prize. And I’m not lying… when I finally find that new issue, I get a little rush of excitement. I can’t wait to take it home. 

It’s the stories I love the most.


If you’ve not read Oh Comely yet, you should.
Posted by K. 

No comments:

Post a Comment